Wednesday, July 3, 2013

IQ gets a new Hatch

I replaced one of the non-opening ports today with a new Vetus opening hatch. The new hatch is quit a bit bigger and will be good for ventilation while at anchor. It is amazing to me how expensive hatches are. This one is 25" by 25" and normally sells for about $750 at West Marine and $629 at Defender. But when I went back to check Defender for availability I saw they had it on sale for $350 So I snagged it fast. The much smaller one that I installed in the aft cabin a few months ago was $325.

We have been back at the marina in Tavernier now for about two weeks. We really miss being on the mooring in Boot Key Harbor, but I know this is the right thing to do for now. It was very good to have spent the two months there as it gave us a good feel for what we need to do to IQ before starting to cruise again. We have come along way in the last few months in getting her ready to go. We still have a long way to go but we are getting there. We can't wait to get going again. Hopefully we will have a good work season this year. We have already decided that even if IQ is not totally ready we will leave anyway. We did this with Morgan and know that it is better to cruise and work on the boat than to just sit at the dock and try to get everything completed before untying the dock lines.

I started on our rudder modification today. Hope to finish it tomorrow and try it out this weekend. There is a guy with a shop here that has been kind enough to let me use his drill press and the other tools I need. It has been alot easier to work on the boat at a dock rather than a mooring.





No comments:

Post a Comment