Saturday, November 6, 2010

WE ARE ON THE MISSISSIPPI

                                             Morgan at anchor on the Mississippi
                                          The cofluence of the Ohio and the Mississippi
                                          Look up the Mississippi
                                           The comercial stop where we got gas
                                          We passed Mound City where my dad was born.
We had an excellent day today. We had a light wind. We motor sailed all day today. We are currently about five miles down the Mississippi river. We talked to a nice lady at one of the commercial barge companies, and she offered to take us into town to buy gas. So we are full again.When we entered the Mississippi our boat speed went from 6 mph to 9.5 mph, with a max speed of 10.4. We were flying. Amazing what a 4.5 mph current will do for you. I don't think it will take long to get to Memphis, which is our next stop. The sun is shining bright and it feels warm. I think I will grill some hot dogs tonight.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What state is Mound City in?

sailtrailers.com said...

I guess it's around 1000 miles to the gulf? How many days is that with barges and currents? I think two weeks to a month depending on your stamina. Gonna be 77 degrees in N.O. LA on Thurs:)

Anonymous said...

I believe it to be in a terrible state. Abysmal conditions and in complete disarray. I'm appalled by the condition of my fair city.

The Honorable Mayor Of Mound City
Milo Rivers

Mike and Sharon Dunsworth said...

Leah, Mound City is in IL.
Sailtrailers, you are correct, we are guessing about 3 to 4 weeks.

Post a Comment