Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Change of plans

Well, we had a change of plans. Saturday morning about 9 am we were about 15 minutes away from leaving for Florida, car was packed, house was clean, Sharon was sweeping the floor working her way towards the door when the phone rang. It was Crawford the one of the insurance adjusting companies I work for. They asked if I would go to Montana for an oil spill. They said I would need to leave imediately. At first I thought it was a friend of mine playing a joke on me. First the timing, second I always think of oil spills in the ocean, not Montana. I said sure I'll go. After I hung up with them I called  my friend just to make sure it wasn't a joke. He said no, it's real. So at noon I was standing in the airport on my way to Montana. Life is funny.

I really wanted to get back to Morgan. but this will really help fatten up the cruising kitty, might even get her a little fat. I don't know how long we will be here. Maybe a week or two more. I don't think any longer than that. Time will tell. It has been long hours, but it has been an absolute blast. I am working in the field  with two great guys from Exxon, We go out along the river looking for oil. They look so they will know where to send teams to clean it up. I document it and address the concerns of the property owner. Walking through the beautiful Montana countryside by the river is fantastic.

We have done a lot of river sailing, but this river is unreal. The Yellowstone river is at flood stage right now. You can watch trees floating down river at incredible speed. I thought the Mississippi was fast. It was a mill pond compared to the Yellowstone right now. I would guess 12+ mph. A canoer's dream, but not a sailboater's.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment