Saturday, May 28, 2016

Grand Canyon

We just left the Grand Canyon. We spent one week there at Ten X campground. We got to see a lot of the south rim from Desert View to Hermit's Rest. We hiked the Bright Angel trail down to the first rest stop which is 1.6 miles down the canyon. That is about 1000' decent. It is about 9.5 miles to the bottom. I did not feel up to that challenge. Maybe next time. It took us a little over 3 hours for the 3.2 mile hike. We did that two days ago and our calves still hurt. It was a lot of fun hiking and riding the motorcycle around the canyon area.

We were tired one day after hiking and decided to stop at Mcdonalds on the way back to camp. I got a quarter pounder meal and Sharon got a Mcnugget meal. It came to $22.16. I about fell over. I was stunned and swiped my card. After I sat down I kicked my self for not thinking fast enough to just tell them to keep it. Can you say tourist area (and I thought the Keys were bad).

We stayed on some BLM land near Camp Verde Arizona last night. You can stay up to 14 days free. It is about 3500' lower than where we were at the Grand Canyon and much warmer. It was getting down in the low 30's at night and I was freezing. I guess 5 years in the Keys will do that to you. I got up yesterday morning and it was 30. I put a coat on and went outside to get the motor-home ready to go and the guy across the street was walking around in shorts and no shirt. I went over to ask where he was from. He said Wisconsin why?

Headed for Phoenix today.

Right next to our camp.

No fear of humans here.




Bright Angel Trail.

Bright Angel Trail

Bright Angel Trail

Bright Angel Trail

Bright Angel Trail

Bright Angel Trail sign. We did not see any mules but there was plenty of evidence that they had been on the trail.




No comments:

Post a Comment