Sunday, December 12, 2010

Chrstmas Thought

As I was walking into town the other day to take our laundry to the laundrymat I passed a Baptist church, I decided that we would go there on Sunday. So this morning that is where we went. It was a Christmas  service about the birth of Jesus and the circumstances around His birth. As I pondered the birth of Christ, I couldn't help but think of how it was typical of His life. Also of how different His life was than ours. I don't mean the toys or technology we have today. I mean His attitude and what He cared about, what He thought was important. The one word that comes to mind is humility. The king of all ages was humble. He was born in a stable, had hay for a bed, came into this world without any human fanfare. He washed peoples feet, died a criminals death. His whole life was a picture of humility.We do not read of Jesus owning any material possessions, other than the clothes on His back.  He did not own a big house, fast chariot, stable of horses, bank account , or anything else. He lived one day at a time.So here we have a man born on the farm, owns nothing, walks everywhere, if He needed something, he made it or borrowed it (colt to enter Jerusalem, upper room for passover). I believe that if Jesus had come today instead of 2000 years ago, just as many people today, if not more, would not recognize Him either. He cared about people and doing His Father's will, not about things and popularity. Things entrap us, they choke us, they entertain us to the point of missing what is really important. When we decided to go cruising we had to get rid of most of our possessions. We went from a three story house full of things to a small mobile home and a 25' boat. We got rid of about 80% of our possessions. Hopefully soon we cane whittle that down to about 10%. I can not tell you how liberating it was to get rid of things. The less I have the better I feel. The closer I feel to being what I am supposed to be. This life is not about what you have, it's about what you do. How you affect others. Things will pass away, sooner than they used to, now that everything is made in China. It's about people. I want to spend more time with people and less time with things. Over the last few years, the Lord has taught me I don't have to agree with people's thought patterns or beliefs. I just have to appreciate them for who they are, and be the best influence on them I can. Oh well I'm not a preacher, so I will shut up now.

Mike

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike,

Been following your blog for awhile and enjoying the reading of your adventures.

Agree with you on the all the stuff you accumulate, etc. We started to down size several years ago and our plans are to head south next summer from Minnesota and cruise on our little boat, a Pacific seacraft 25. We are selling the townhouse and will move into a trailer after we spend a year on the water.


Look forword to your posts! Smooth sailing and hope to see you on the water someday.

Bob and Susie
Johnston Iowa

Mike and Sharon Dunsworth said...

Bob and Susie,
Sounds like a good plan. Are you going to sail down to the coast? Pacific seacraft are good boats.

Fair winds,
Mike

Anonymous said...

Mike,

Yes our plans are to head down the river spend some time at Kentucky Lake and move south to Mobile on the Tenn-Tom. Next winter we hope to be in the Bahamas. We will be meeting up with some friends on their Gemini cat along the way. Should be a real adventure.

What are your plans for this winter??

Bob and Susie

Mike and Sharon Dunsworth said...

Bob and Susie,

We are going to rent a car and go back up to Indiana for about a month to work and for Christmas, then return to the boat and cruise the west coast of Florida and the Keys. We also plan on the Bahamas next winter. Then island hop down to the Virgins. Maybe we will see you there.

Mike

Post a Comment