Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Another change in plans (Hard to imagine)

We are in Carabelle, We just had the roughest day we have ever had on "Morgan" We went through the cut at Apalachacola on an outgoing tide with a south wind (dumb thing to do). Large breaking waves coming in as we were going out. I will never do that again. Once we were out the waves were about 3 or 4 feet tall and breaking and about 4 seconds apart. We ran about 30 miles east and ducked into Carabelle. Finally dropped the hook and took a break. It was very very uncomfortable. Most of the 30 miles we had the waves on our beam. We were sailing about 5-6 knots. Even as uncomfortable as it was I never felt Morgan was out of control or that it was too much for her.


We are going to hang around here for a better weather window. I will post some pics tomorrow.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

And...everything that could go wrong did go wrong...I should tell my side of the adventure..sharon

Rockstore said...

Too bad, but glad you survived! I noticed from your tracker that you were staying close to the coast. That thing is cool

Scott Dunsworth said...

Good luck my brother. Rough seas that you live through develops skill and confidence. The trick is to live through them!!

Scott

Spencer said...

Sharon, We do want to here your side of the story. Still trying to talk my girlfriend into an adventure. I got my schooling in how wind reacts to tidal current in small passes in the same spot as you just did (government cut at St George Island) - about 8 years ago. The good news is that when the seas die down, an open passage will not seem so bad. Good luck, Spencer

Post a Comment