Thursday, May 16, 2013

Fresh Water

While living on the mooring we (I mean I) have to bring fresh water from shore to fill our water tanks. I usually bring 5 gallons back with me every morning after drooping off Sharon ashore. We use about 5 to 7 gallons a day on average. This in and of itself is not that hard of a thing to do. The thing I have a problem with is where we get the water. The marina has an RV hose hooked to a spigot that you can pull your dingy up to and fill your jugs. Not a bad setup if there were not stupid inconsiderate humans in this world. Twice I have pulled up and watched a guy hosing himself off, rubbing the hose all over himself. Yesterday I pulled up and there was a guy with two dogs in his dingy and he was using the hose to wash out towels he had in his dingy. Then I am supposed to fill my drinking water jug with the same hose. ARRRRHH.
Hose from the flybridge.

Filter.

Hose going into the tankfill.

Lots of people collect rain water and filter it for their fresh water supply. I had planned on doing this eventually, but the frustration with the marina water pushed this up on the priority list. We have the perfect setup built into Queeny. There are two drains from the flybridge. One on each side of the boat. I already had hoses hooked to them to drain the water overboard rather than onto the deck, so it was an easy thing to plumb one of them into a filter. An RV hose then runs from the filter to the tank fill. It should not take long to fill the tanks in a decent rain. We also have a filter at the sink. After a rain we will put a little bleach in the tank as well. After I cleaned the flybridge I took our 5 gallon water jug and dumped it onto the flybridge to test the system. I did not know how freely the water would flow through the filter. It worked great. They are forecasting rain tomorrow. Hopefully we will have full tanks shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment